Friday, April 24, 2009

DIY Week: Please Sign Our Book (day five)

Today is the very last day of DIY Week.* Its been such an awesome craft filled week, it will be kind of sad to go back to discussing the other wedding business (and you know there's some other stuff we need to discuss). While many of the things I've shown you this week may or may not get noticed, today's project is something I hope that every guest at our wedding will see (and enjoy): the Guestbook.

By now, you already know there was no way we would have a standard, uninspired guest book. Were having a photobook, filled with our engagement pictures (because seriously, what else do you do with those things) and lots of white space for people to sign and leave us messages. Before I go further, I better give you some visuals.


This is what you see when you first lay eyes on the book. It will probably be closed just like this on the guest book table.


Once you open it, you'll see that some of the pages have text. The text is the lyrics of our first dance song.


Some of the pages are just pictures with a good bit of white space. When we showed it to MamaD, she asked where people were supposed to sign. Spread the word: people are welcome to write in any of the white space.


One of my favorite parts of the book are the two-page spreads. I wouldnt really recommend writing on these, as it could be difficult, depending on which spread it is. The two-page spreads have a yearbook-y quality to me, and I think they really showcase our photographer's talent and how beautiful Athens, Georgia can be in the fall.

I've mentioned several times that guests will be instructed to write in the white space. I haven't decided if there's going to be a guest book attendant or not, but in the event there isn't one (or she's busy), I made a little sign (surprise, surprise) to hang out with our book. Here's my mock up:


Essentially, its just the book, some pens in a votive candle holder and the sign telling people what to do. I don't anticipate our guests having a whole lot of trouble with this. You either write a message or you don't. I really hope everyone will though.


There are quite a large number of places you can have photo books made. I decided to go with Blurb, because I'd heard good things about the book quality, the prices were competitive, and the software was very easy to use. I had a positive experience with Blurb and would highly recommend Blurb books to anyone wanting to show case their photography, their writing, or some combination of the two.

So there it is folks. Our photo guestbook. This was not nearly as cheap as many of my other projects, but I was willing to sacrifice cost for quality and bridal satisfaction (lol). The PHI and I love this little book and we can't wait to see what kinds of things our guests decide to fill in the white space with.



*Sidenote: who knew blogging daily would be this much work? When is the last time I posted so many days in a row? Oh, I remember. Spring Break. And then I took almost a month off. I promise I wont do that this time!

2 comments:

  1. blogging daily is a nightmare. i did it for about 5 months once. you did great! i love the 2-page spreads!! people will probably spend a lot of time looking at the photos, too before they even sign it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS!!

    I think that's my favorite thing you've done (thus far). Too good!

    ReplyDelete

Since you stopped by, you should say hi! Feel free to leave your $.02! ♥