Monday, December 1, 2008

A little perspective never hurt anyone

I read a good number of wedding blogs. In fact, most days I run across mention of a wedding blog that I had no idea existed. The other day, I found Marisa's blog (now she's better known as Miss Cheese) and one post in particular especially resonated with me. She's discussing her thoughts about their wedding day, specifically the prevalent assumption that its "the best day of our lives." You've listened to me go on and on about this, so I think its refreshing when I can read another bride's thoughts about the topic as well.

Ulltimately she defined a wedding as:
"a party to celebrate all that you are and who you’ll become, together. You acknowledge your past, celebrate today, and rejoice that the future will bring even more. You ask that your friends and family offer wishes and prayers for the success and joy of your family, and you honor them for helping you get this far. That’s it. Everything else is a bonus." (You can read the remainder of her post here).
I don't know about you, but I feel so much better when I'm able to put things in perspective. The marriage is a blessing. Everything else: the cake, the dresses, the rings, the invites - basically the makings of a wedding - all bonus.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Miss Patti - thanks for the link. I'm always heartened to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks that our wedding day being "the best day of our lives" is a bit sad. Don't even get my started on the phrase "my wedding day" -- how is it your wedding day if it's a joint occasion? Is it your Christmas?

    ReplyDelete

Since you stopped by, you should say hi! Feel free to leave your $.02! ♥